005 – Part Two of the Rock Paper Scissors documentary has us dig into the making of this movie with the filmmaker, Mike McKeown.
Host Matt and Mike discuss:
- Gaining access and trust of his subjects.
- Finding gold in the first few interviews.
- How this little idea to cover these guys and “perhaps make a short film” became a multi year odyssey.
- Finding out if he took “artistic license” to create “a bad guy” with one of the characters?
- Digging through 140 hours of footage to make this movie.
- Figuring out how to get the movie into festivals.
Geek Out With Show Notes
Be sure to listen to Part One of this series.
Good N Proper – Production company that Mike partnered with to get the movie seen.
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters – Everyone’s favorite. We really want to talk to filmmaker, Seth Gordon. Anyone have a connection?
The Christopher Guest mockumentaries – Mike watches these at least once a year.
How It Got Made
To further educate our audience about how these documentaries get finished. We will include the equipment and software used to make the movie happen. Mike told us: